Sunday, August 14, 2011

ANC's Julius Malema apologises for Botswana remarks

Mr Malema said the league's remarks damaged its ties with "the mother body" and "we should have known better".

Last month, Mr Malema, 30, said the Botswana government was a puppet regime and a serious threat to Africa.

The ANC - which has already criticised Mr Malema for the remarks - is due to discuss the matter in the coming days.

"We felt it is necessary to apologise and withdraw the statement of the NEC (National Executive Committee) of the Youth League publicly, because we have noted that that statement has poisoned the environment," Mr Malema said on South Africa's state radio SAFM on Sunday.

He also expressed hope that the ANC would accept his apology at its meeting expected on Monday.

"We are a young people who will time and again commit mistakes and are prepared to learn from those mistakes."

The firebrand league leader has been at the centre of controversy before.

He has repeatedly called for the nationalisation of South Africa's mines and farms - striking a chord with the country's poor black population, but unnerving investors.

Earlier this year, he was criticised by South Africa's Afrikaans community for singing a controversial apartheid-era song with the words "shoot the Boer".

Source: BBC

Toddler rescued from rubbish container in Spain

They say the toddler was rescued after residents of the town of Cabezo de Torres, near Murcia, heard sobbing sounds coming from a container.

The residents found the girl inside, saying she was "crying and sweating" with signs of panic on her face.

Her parents were detained after the incident late on Saturday.

The parents - who are reportedly of North African origin - are now awaiting trial on suspicion of neglect.

Police have not released the names of the suspects.

Source: BBC

US Republican Tim Pawlenty drops bid for 2012 race

The Minnesota ex-governor finished a distant third in the Iowa straw poll, an early test of strength for candidates vying to challenge Democratic President Barack Obama.

"The pathway forward for me doesn't exist," Mr Pawlenty told ABC TV.

Michele Bachmann, a Congresswoman from Minnesota, won the non-binding poll.

Ron Paul, a Texas Congressman, finished a close second.
Languishing in polls

Mr Pawlenty said: "I thought I would have made a great president, but obviously that pathway isn't there. I do believe we're going to have a very good candidate who is going to beat Barack Obama."

Mr Pawlenty had spent about two years preparing his campaign and building funds. He poured much of that money into Iowa before Saturday's vote but languished in opinion polls after Mrs Bachmann entered the race.

About 17,000 voters took part in the straw poll, in what is considered the first big test of the 2012 presidential race.

It comes five months before the first official Iowa primaries in the race for the White House.

Mrs Bachmann won 4,823 votes in the straw poll, more than twice as many as Mr Pawlenty.

He has not endorsed a candidate but Mrs Bachmann was quick to praise him.

"I wish him well," she said. "He brought a really important voice into the race and I am grateful that he was in. He was really a very good competitor."

National front-runner Mitt Romney did not actively take part in the Iowa contest and neither did Texas Governor Rick Perry, who announced his candidacy on Saturday.

Mr Perry's candidacy means he and Mrs Bachmann will fight for the votes of the more conservative wing of the Republican Party while Mitt Romney works to fire up a base that so far has seemed unimpressed with his campaigning style, says the BBC's Jonny Dymond from Ames.

Sarah Palin, a favourite of the ultra-conservative Tea Party movement and Republican vice-presidential candidate in 2008, has not declared her candidacy but has said she has not ruled out running.

Source: BBC